Monday, May 9, 2016
Thanks to everybody who participated in our chats over the past two years! I'll be leaving this site up as an archive, and also as the home of the Twitter Bootcamp. Happy tweeting!
Posted by Laura Gibbs at 11:53 AM
Saturday, March 26, 2016
Because Rob and Stacy can't participate at the regular time, we are switching to a SLOW CHAT format, which means that I'll tweet out the questions in the morning on Friday at 30-minute intervals starting at 9AM (CST) so that people can respond on Friday, or over the weekend, or at any time.
Also, this will be our LAST CHAT. As OU moves into its LMS re-evaluation and possible transition, that conversation will be the focus, and a new opportunity for people to think about "open" as they (re)design their courses.
Big news at OU: Learning Management System Recommendation. And the team behind this is asking you to share your thoughts, faculty!
For our April 8 chat, we can look at the LMS, how it can be harnessed to open teaching practices, along with the good synergy at OU Create: create.ou.edu.
Here are the questions I'll be tweeting during 10AM-1PM (and please chime in at any time):
Plus some words of wisdom from Dilbert... from back in 2001 (April 14 2001 to be precise):
Also, while Canvas is certainly not the upstart it once was, you might enjoy this old video from their upstart days: Change is Good.
- what LMS system(s) have you worked with? what have been your fav features / worst peeves?
- how do you use LMS now? what are your hopes for future? has your LMS use evolved over time?
- what can we do to promote open sharing of LMS experiences at OU and learn from each other?
- are you using OU Create? what other web tools do you hope to use with the LMS and why?
- thought experiment: if LMS disappeared overnight (poof!), what would we be using instead? (that's a thought experiment via Jon Becker)
- what will be our biggest challenges as we move forward? how should we measure "LMS success"?
- OU's Learning Management System Recommendation
- The Odd Couple: How Ed Tech Must Support Vastly Different Types of Professors by Phil Hill
- What’s Really to Blame for the Failures of Our Learning-Management Systems by Michael Feldstein
- Dammit the LMS by Michael Feldstein
- The LMS... again by Laura Gibbs
- Reclaiming Innovation by Jim Groom and Brian Lamb
- The LMS As A Portal: A Reflection On Digital Pedagogy by Sean Michael Morris
- The possibilities of/for #onlinelearning by Jon Becker
- How Long Will Your Class Remain Yours? Academic Freedom and Control of the Classroom by Jonathan Rees
- The Most Important LMS Question is… by Mark Morvant
- Murphy’s Mantras for LMS Evaluation by Ted Curran
- Learning Management Systems: Fish or Fowl? by Peter Greene
- The LMS is dead, long live the LMS! by Donald Clark
- What does ‘LMS’ mean today? by Donald Taylor
- Managing Learning by Charles Jennings
- Teaching with Slack by Zach Whalen
- A Feed WordPress Magic Box by Alan Levine
We had our third #OpenTeachingOU #OpenOK Twitter chat of the Spring 2016 semester on Friday, March 25, 2016. I created this Storify just using tweets tagged with #OpenTeachingOU or #OpenOK, so some conversations may be missing a tweet or two. Here is the Storify page. The topic: ONLINE PRESENCE AND PERSONALIZATION.